The teaching of the language shall be carried out through a series of courses tailored to the specific needs of the institutions with which the Universidad de Concepción has agreements for cooperation and joint development. This work will enhance the design, implementation and evaluation of a B-Learning platform for teaching Spanish to integrate the results of research projects related to teaching (Ferreira 04-065, 98-120, 97-038, 96-134; 95-124), and FONDECYT (1040500 and 1080165 Ferreira).
This platform also will be supported by updated methodologies in language teaching and will incorporate advances in the field of CALL and ICALL, such as the development of an intelligent tutoring system for teaching Spanish as a foreign language and the application of Internet and information and communication technologies.
The B-Learning platform is a virtual environment specifically designed in our university for learning and teaching Spanish as a foreign language through Internet.
It includes levels A1, A2, B1, B2 and C1 of the Plan of the Department of Spanish described in the Common European Framework, and it will provide the following resources:
1. Interactive and multimedia activities with actual samples of language and culture that collect the diversity and richness of Latin American countries, particularly Chile.
2. Learning and communication tools such as blogs, wikis, discussion forums, chat and email.
3. A comprehensive monitoring and evaluation.
The platform will incorporate information and communications technologies into the teaching of Spanish, in order to boost academic activities in line with the technological resources available, thus offering Spanish as a foreign language in the context of Latin American culture. It is designed to accommodate different learning styles and rhythms and to be flexible to the interests of students.
This area has three main objectives: To empower students to improve their linguistic and communicative competence in the various levels of Spanish that they require, according to the Common European Framework of Reference.
• To train students of Spanish as L1 at UDEC to teach Spanish as FL according to the new teaching methodologies, including language computer assisted language learning (CALL).
• To train UDEC language students in general to teach Spanish as LE according to the new teaching methodologies, including computer assisted language learning (CALL). • Teaching that has been offered at undergraduate level:
• Computer-assisted Spanish teaching in the context of new technologies of information and communications technologies (ICTs).
• Spanish for Foreigners.
• Applied Linguistics.
TEACHING AT THE GRADUATE LEVEL
The general objective is to train language teachers and related professionals who wish to specialize in teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language methodology consistent with the current language teaching methodologies, including Computer Assisted Spanish Teaching (CALL context). The teachers, after training, will be able to:
• Teach Spanish as FL through innovative methodologies, especially in the context of computer-assisted language learning (CALL).
• Plan and evaluate the teaching-learning process in the short and long term, according to current methodological approaches and taking into account the context of teaching and student needs.
• Apply planning, development and evaluation of teaching and learning process in line with the Common European Framework of Reference.
• Provide students with a variety of learning opportunities, propose actions to promote the development of various aspects of communicative competence in Spanish and manage the classroom effectively. This type of teaching has been offered at graduate level context.
Curriculum and Methodology for Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language.
• Teaching and learning research in Computer Assisted Language (CALL).
• Applied Linguistics in Education: Strategies for Teaching and Learning of native and foreign language.
• New perspectives on interdisciplinary teaching and learning of foreign languages in the context of the Computer Assisted Language Learning.
• Introduction to Applied Linguistics.