The program in Spanish as a Foreign Language (ELE-UdeC) operates in the context of the International Agreement between the St. Cloud State University, USA, and the Universidad de Concepción, which regulates the dual degree of the Master’s program:
• MA in Applied Linguistics at Universidad de Concepción.
• Master in TESOL (Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages), University of St. Cloud.
A great deal of the activities of the Department of Spanish in the Program of Spanish as a Foreign Language are carried out by jeans of cooperation agreements signed by the University with other institutions. A brief summary is presented below:
• BETWEEN UDEC AND THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES (JAMAICA), 1993 -1998.This agreement had as one of its main objectives the improvement of teachers of Spanish as a foreign language in English-speaking Caribbean, a task that was largely developed by Professors Anita Ferreira and Patricia Germany through a visiting program funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Chile through the International Cooperation Agency (ACGI).
• BETWEEN UDEC AND THE LUZIANA LANNA INSTITUTE OF BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil, 1996 . Through this agreement, the Department of Spanish participated as students’ examination body of the foreign institution, formulating plans and programs of study and tests for examinations.
• BETWEEN UDEC AND THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, 2002 – 2007. Through this agreement, the University of California sent a group of students who every year were provided with training in language and culture according to American college programs, but run entirely by staff of the Department of Spanish or under its supervision .
• BETWEEN UDEC AND ST. CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY (MINNESOTA, USA), 2002 to date. The framework of this agreement includes, among other things, a program of Spanish as a foreign language taken every year by a number of foreign university students, to whom language and literature courses are given, fully prepared and conducted by teachers of our Department of Spanish